I bought my amazing home in 2012, got the keys on February 29th, 2012 and will be celebrating 4 years of home ownership this year, LEAP YEAR! For the most part it’s been awesome; I love the amount of space we have. I love that because we own a bungalow when my mom suffered a stroke she was able to come home instead of into a long-term care facility after she completed her rehab.
I love that when I moved in we didn’t have to paint a single room, now after 4 years almost every room could use a new coat of paint. I love that our backyard was fenced in, now after 4 years the fence and gate need to be replaced. I love that our front step was big enough to sit out on, now after 4 years and a mom suffering a stroke we need a safe ramp.
The list of things that require my attention with regards to my amazing home seems to be growing by the day. Here is a list:
- Gutters need to be replaced, when it rains, it pours. No joke, it’s a sheet of water coming down in the front of my home.
- Driveway needs to be dug out, re-slopped, and re-paved.
- A ramp needs to be installed. We have a very tiny ramp that allows my sister to get mom in and out of the house however if I was alone with my mom I cannot safely get my mom out. This also means I cannot just take her somewhere if I want to.
- New stove, the current one takes FOREVER to preheat and the glass top came damaged.
- Toilets need to be replaced. Nothing more needs to be said with this.
- Bathroom door and one bedroom door needs to be replaced. The master bedroom door never came with a doorknob. I would also LOVE a door, my basement bedroom has a curtain.
- I have about 3 cracks in the foundation of my home that need to be fixed. It floods in my closet and in our laundry room.
- The fence in the backyard has one section that is falling forward, the post is toast. The whole fence needs to be replaced.
How do other home owners balance these needs? We have already fixed some pluming issues, recently replaced our sub-pump, taken a bad tree out…it just never seems to end when you own a home.
We have a quote for a ramp of over $4000, fixing the cracks in the foundation will be roughly $2000, fence looking at $2000…Where are these funds suppose to come from? I try to work overtime when I can but I also need to balance being a caregiver, and I just can’t give up doing my volunteer work. Thought about getting a second job but that doesn’t seem very practical either. I make a decent wage, a living wage which I’m forever grateful for however it gives me just enough to make monthly expenses supporting a family of 4 and not much more to be able to save in case shit goes wrong. I never expected my mom to have a stroke, think that is where it all went to heck, her and I would split the mortgage payments. Now that I have taken on the full mortgage payments and add that to other payments I have taken on its can be overwhelming. I’ve sometimes taken the stance to just ignoring everything, pretending it isn’t happening….anyone else do that?