Never having been in any kind of relationship or been on many dates I always enjoy talking with my friends who are in relationships to gauge from them what it’s like. As I get older I realize that my standards may be getting higher but also as i get older I know that I will not settle, I’d rater be alone than unhappy.My co-worker and friend Crystal is engaged to be married to an awesome guy named Norman (HI NORMAN!) who just moved here from Nova Scotia to be with her and I think that is sweet. Her and I are working on details for her upcoming wedding and we even went dress shopping. It’s during these times that I struggle with being alone the most. Don’t get me wrong I’m THRILLED for Crystal and any one of my friends as they get married and have kids but I feel Jealous.
I thought that I would write an open letter to any potential suitors, I doubt there will be many but thought it was something different to write. Let’s see if I get any letters in return.
Dear date to be (FYI Joey Farmer),
Hi I’m Penny,
I’m 33 years old and have not been on many dates so i wanted to write this letter do have some things out in the open. Feel free to pen your own letter to me if you wish (I encourage you to).
I don’t expect you to open all the doors for me, I don’t expect flowers, or candy, or any gifts from you. I’m pretty easy to get along with but I do have a few ground rules. If after reading this letter I haven’t scared you off then feel free to contact me.
1) You must be kind not only to me (clearly) but to those you interact with while with me. If you notice idiots staring at me I expect you to ignore them as I should have your full attention and being with you helps me not see those idiots.
2) For the first few date (assuming we have more than one) I do expect you to pay, not for everything but at least dinner.
3) We don’t have to do dinner, I’m happy to go bowling, mini-putting, rock climbing, hiking, walking, go to the mall…see i’m pretty open to most anything.
4) I dislike long awkward silences I generally am pretty good at keep a conversation going however if I find I have been doing most of the starting of conversations I will just stop so if that happens and it we end up with long stretches of nothing…it’s not going well.
5) I can’t drive so I love being picked up and dropped off at home however I am willing to meet up somewhere (because I’m nice like that)
6) If you smoke cigarettes it’s a deal breaker….
See my rules aren’t so bad, right?
A few other things I’d rather say in writing as I always feel silly when I have to tell people. I am hearing impaired which means I’m deaf in my left ear so sometimes if we are out I may ask you to repeat what you said, I’m sorry! Please if you can try to remember to stay on my right side, or don’t get weird if you notice me re positioning myself as I want to be able to hear what you have to say so I may do this often if you don’t remember. Once I get more comfortable around you I will just remind you. I’m also visually impaired so if we are out at a restaurant or fast food joint help me read the menu if I ask, or heck just offer because sometimes I don’t ask for help.
I am lactose intolerant so please don’t suggest we go get ice cream of any kind…Also I’m allergic to pineapple so Hawaiian pizza is out, even though it’s my favourite kind.
I love reading, knitting (no i won’t knit you something so please don’t ask) spending time with my dogs, my mom, my sister, and my friends. I’m a hopeless romantic even though I’m not 100% sure what that means.